December 07, 2009

Turkey Day; Backcountry Style!

For thanksgiving this year, I needed to get away and have an adventure. Working in CA had kept me from my monthly allotment of adventures and I needed to catch up. Denise mentioned I could come on a trip withabout 25 other folks to a 4 mile ski-in cabin near Mt. Bailey in OR so I signed up. Over the long weekend we managed to climb up and ride down Mt Bailey twice (thanks for the split board Keith!), build one helluva sled/kayak course, eat 3 turkeys, drink 2 kegs of beer along with untold bottles of booze and moonshine, and soak at Umpqua Hot Springs. I think thats a good adventure!

Epic Thanksgiving Dinner in the cabin
Party Shirts! (I must say, the Kiwis take their party shirts very seriously)
Around the campfire
Fire poi
Fire poi
I gave fire poi a go and only hit myself in the nuts with flaming balls twice! Look ma, no burns!
Headed for the tree at 20 mph.
The sled/kayak run.
Colonel Mackey at your service!
Skinning up the mountain through 6 in of 12 hr old powder.
Digging a pit to see where the layer is
11pm under a full moon. Mt Thielsen presiding over Diamond Lake.
Can you believe these guys actually were the leaders?!
Midnight sledding, no injuries (miraculously)
My humble little sled I towed in.

No comments: