July 29, 2010

The goings on in California...

I just got back from a whirlwind 2 week CA trip.  I went down initially for vacation, and after Yosemite got boring, I went to work for a few days in Northern California to evaluate a project completed last year.  As strange as it may seem, this was my first visit to Yosemite.  What an amazing place!!  This trip was all about long day hiking with family and friends, but I am going back reeeeal soon to climb on some of that beautiful granite. 
My mom, little bro Fritz, Brenna (Fritz's ladyfriend), and I departed tuesday and got into the valley right at sunset, which was an awesome start to the trip.  Coming around the corner and seeing the sun setting on Half Dome for the first time was surreal.  We set up shop in Ranger Phaedra's back yard on Glacier Point and enjoyed a bright moonlit night looking down at the Valley.


In the morning we decided to drive the valley and then hike to the top of Vernal and Nevada Falls.  The Mist Trail up to the falls is exactly that, and on a hot day that spray is invigorating!  It was beautiful at the falls, but I tell ya, I couldn't take the insane number of people and the paved trail.  I do have to give props to the CCC trailbuilders back in the day; they moved a LOT of granite for the miles of granite block staircase.  They knew their shit.

Nevada Fall w/ the backside of Half Dome in the background
Day two we parked at McGurk Meadows trailhead and hiked 7 or so miles to Phaedra's cabin, then drove back to the falls.  McGurk Meadow was one of the best displays of Indian Paintbrush I have ever seen.  The photos speak to that.  Past the meadow, we hiked out to Taft Point (on the rim across and slightly up valley from El Cap).  The view there was the down valley equivalent of Glacier Point.  Mom had some serious fear of heights at this overlook (she was fine at the waterfall cliffs though), and it was impressive watching her try to overcome her vertigo (quite entertaining at times too!).  Also, at Taft Point I was tested by the powers that be: a family walked 3 chiwawas right out to the cliff edge 5 ft from me, and I managed to control the urge to kick them into space.  I don't know how I managed, but I did.  Fritz and I finished the hike with a fun scramble up  the back of Sentinel Dome near Phaedra's cabin.
Fritz jumping The Fissures
Fritz scrambling up Sentinel Dome
Day three was a great time because PHAEDRA CAME ALONG!  We all hiked 6 miles to an alpine lake and went swimming in the sun at 9,000 ft.  It was really great seeing Phaedra, it has been quite a while.  Bonus Points for whoever can tell me what the orange stuff is in the photo! (***answer at bottom of page).

 After the fun was over in Yos, I had to get back to work to evaluate a project we did for a forest landowner.  The sites were spread out between Tahoe, Susanville, and Shasta, so I checked the Tahoe sites since I was already in the area.  With a half day to spare, I hiked up to Horesetail Falls on Pyramid Cr. in the Desolation Wilderness.  I was surprised how little elevation gain there was in the trail, so I decided to trail run as much of it as I could.  It was really fun leaping from boulder to boulder and hunting for trail on the granite slabs, and I only took one header into the manzanita .  I need to trail run more often. 
The last 3 days have been spent visiting with a number of foresters to look at the (mostly) successful clearcut and fire rehab treatments from last fall.  We learned a lot from this, and have some tweaks for a similar project this fall.  We stayed one night in Chico, and I was able to meet up with cousin Hunter for a beer at Sierra Nevada Brewery, where she works!  I was also able to meet up with Alyssa in Sacramento for dinner one night.  We took some scandalous phone photos and texted them to Colleen.  It was awesome.

There is a lot more to tell, and many more photos but I am tired, and just wanted to update everyone on what is going on!  I can tell you the whole story over a pint at the bar if you want!



















*** Dodder

1 comment:

Nate Meehan said...

Wow Ian, you've been busy! Great pics from yosemite, you mush have a pretty nice camera! I remember the first time I saw those monoliths in real life... Sorta weird cause I'd seen so many pictures before. Anyway, nice work on your Jefferson trip too, looks like you guys have pretty much winter conditions up there. Awesome for this late in the year!