October 28, 2005

OMC

OMC is now a community organization. No longer affiliated with the school. We got dropped after a climbing trip I organized last weekend was misconstrued as an OMC trip (I specifically did not use any club resources in any part of the trip and specified very clearly that this was not related to mountain club). We are reorganizing the listserve and website (the school can not take those away) but we are losing funding, the library, avvy beacons, radios, and GPSs. The nature of this is complete bullshit. The school administration has created enough hoops for the club to jump through so that they would have a politically proper way to eliminate the liability of having to deal with OMC when we couldn't meet their objectives. We can be reinstated as a sports club next year if we demonstrate that we have succeeded in reforming our culture to the point of everything being "safe" and peachy-keen. (If any of you have read Brave New World, think of all OMC participants being on Soma at all outings.) As Bugs Bunny once so eloquently put it, "Of course, you know this means war..."

On another note, Beginner Smith was a smashing success. check my webspace for fotos. I am also stoked to have gotten an interview at the college forest. Hopefully I can get the job!

Halloween is coming! Colleen, Ariel, and I are going as rock, paper, and scissors(I got scissors). Halloween should be good this year, but hopefully the cops won't be involved like last year. As funny as I thought it was, CPD doesn't like exploding pumpkins. I guess I will just have to be more careful, and run away faster this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'd be happy to start rebuilding the OMC library with a donation of the guidebook that I still have checked out!

sorry to hear about this, but it sounds like it had to happen.

phil kast.

Molly said...

Might I remind you Ian, that you did run away plenty fast last year. When the cops showed up and all of our drunk asses couldn't decide what to do from the large, safe picture window above, you pranced on out the door in your sexy dress, high heels, pigtails, and red lipstick.
:)

Keith Pearen said...

Bust out some Cliffy on their asses. I wish that dredded hippy were still around to tell the university whats up! I amy have to try and regulate via pointed Email from Korea.