May 17, 2007

One mountain just isn't enough!

I was feeling particularly motivated last week and decided to try out this whole, punishing physical activity that Will G and Colleen seem to love so much. So, my torture of choice was climbing mountains. I fenagled some folks to climb Hood saturday morning and we were slow(Mikel's asthma was really bad at higher elevation) but made it to the top by way of West Crater route. I gotta say, I dont know why anyone bothers with the Pearly Gates because WC is a WAY better route in my opinion. We descended and on the way down watched a party of 5 still on the way up (hogsback at 1:00pm). Those are the folks you may have heard about on the news. They made a very bad decision to continue because when we passed them it was starting to snow (a very clearly forcasted weather system was moving in over night). They all got off OK but they were still stupid.
Then Colleen Dev and Rhiannon met us in Portland and we continued on to St Helens to Ski In A Dress For Mothers Day! We woke up at 4 am to rain so we went back to sleep till 6 or so and it was finally slacking off so we started up after a very leisurely brekke. About 400 people turned out for the event. It was like a huge anthill with no more than 50 feet between any one group. We all made it to the top, and then got the enjoy a very pleasent bluebird ride down. Wonderful trip. I am stoked I pulled off both mountains. 11,000 ft. in a weekend. I can do better.

St. Helens pix up later(or you might be able to look at Cols blog for pix)