September 07, 2008

one year of UAP

I have worked for UAP for one year now. It really doesnt feel like it has been that long, which is kinda strange. I guess though that is pretty good; I am not falling into a "tear-my-hair-out" mindless routine of a job. This work runs on an annual cycle and I am just now on the same New Mexico project, where I kicked things off shortly after starting last year.
This is where I state lessons learned and all that, but that is way too much thought for typing and watching TV at the same time. So on to more superficial, narrative things! We went kayaking.
Col and I and 3 others went sea kayaking up in the San Juans again for laborday weekend. This trip wasnt quite the same as last time though; there was whitewater. Yea, Whitewater. The tidal currents in the sound is incredibly powerful, and the area we were paddling in had some pretty serious water movement. One small island we were camped on the second day had 4 foot standing waves 50 ft off the tip, and 3 standing whirlpools that literally would swallow a kayak. Oh, and there was a channel we had to cross that had standing large whitewater chop moving at 5-8 knots 3 miles long and 3/4 of a mile long. Needless to say, Col and the rest were freaked out, but we finally came to a decision on a crossing point and pulled it off with much trepidation. This trip definitely had a little more spice to it. But less alchy. That was a bummer. We definitely burned though the wine too fast. And didnt bring enough whiskey. There, thats my "lessons learned" for this post. No photos, I forgot my camera for this trip.

No comments: