November 18, 2005

What a life!

I have an incredible life. It is wonderful! I hardly have any school work, 4 hrs of class time a week(I am taking online credits in addition to this), I get to sleep in 5 days a week. Some might call that a slacker lifestyle, but I call it ideal. Jealous yet? Those are just my responsibilities; now for the fun part of my life. Lets see here, I just got back last night from climbing Mt Hood, I am going leaving to go climbing at Smith Rock in an hour, I went scuba diving last weekend, and I am doing some trail work, then riding at Blackrock on Sunday. I LOVE MY LIFE! Yet, sadly, responsibility looms. I am creeping nearer and nearer to graduation and with that comes the responsibility of finding a permanent job, a house, and all those other things that most of you reading this already have/do. College only comes once and I am loathe to leave it until I absolutely have to. ...Daaaad, can I have some more moneeeeey?

Ooh! ooh! I got another job! It is working out at the school forest on a operations crew. Not entirely sure what that entails yet, but I am sure you will hear about it eventually.

Mount Hood was gorgeous. Even though we didn't summit, I still would say this was the prettiest mountaineering trip I've ever done. It was a full moon, relatively warm, clear night and the people I was with were great. We didn't need headlamps for 98% of the climb it was so bright. We had to turn around at creater rock because of avalanche danger on the steeper slope but we made it to about 9,000 ft (zoom on the Pearly Gates and you can see a fracture from an avalanche the night before.) Just as we were debating turning around, we witnessed a large icefall on the headwall next to us. That pretty much made up our minds. We stayed up there for the sunrise or "fireworks" as Logan refers to them and got a real treat. The glissade/snowshovel-sledding trip down was just as fun as the way up. Tyler and I did some EXTREME! shoveling and went off a few 2 ft. drops at about 20 mph. As a result of glissading on rime ice and hitting some sweet jumps on the shovel, my ass is now very very sore (Eva had a huge bruise on her cheeks). All in all, a perfect trip. Oh, and crampons make great pillows I've found.
Hood from the Parking lot.

Portland lights

4:30 am

"Fireworks"

Jefferson, Three Sisters, Broken Top and Bachelor(?)

Looking South


If you click a photo to enlarge it, and then right click and "set as wallpaper," you can use any of these as desktop photos for you 'puter. There are more photos on my webspace.

No comments: