November 13, 2006

Reading is good for the... the... Well, it sure kills time!

Colleen, being a language arts teacher, has gotten me back to reading books lately. I finished "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson recently. If you havent heard of it, it tells of his mission to hike the AT with a friend and their adventures along the way. I, along with the New York Times best sellers list, found this to be a very funny book. Col also went to the library and grabbed me "Adrenaline" from 2001. Its basically a collection of short stories(good for sufferers of ADD) that are generally connected by the theme of adventure. There is the first hand account of Tommy Caldwell and Beth Rodden's being taken hostage in Pakistan, a man who was a first responder to an Ebola outbreak in Congo, and several climbing stories. I found a brilliant quote which I think can apply to many climbers (well, males at least).

"Like, say, fighter pilots, surgeons, and hit men, climbers have a prizewinning talent for disassociating from emotion, a quality that is useful in the mountains. It is considerably less useful in relationships." -Jack Turner

Oh, and another thing. I recently joined Gmail and have a new email address. It is now roth.ian(at)gmail(dot)com

Lets see here. Now where is a good photo to add to the post? From a kayak trip on the Salmon R. :

No comments: