July 06, 2007

I got the Job!

I am so pleased with myself right now. I got off the phone with my future boss and he informed me that I am officially in with UAP. GPS, ArcMap, more hiking, and computer work is in the cards. Greg Cox (heh, my boss is named Cox) also said I will be kinda like a salesman for the herbicides the company sells as well but that will come later after I have worked there for a while. He said he is still pushing paper around so it might be a few weeks before I start but I AM IN!

I guess what I will be doing initially is being a field guy for the upcoming projects UAP is undertaking and then (assuming they havent fired me) I am transitioned into learning the bigger business. Basically the company is a 5-10 person operation that in years past has just sold herbicides and filled spraying contracts. They are now trying to corner a new market of Federal contracts in wildland rehabilitation(post fire rehab specifically). This entails spraying for invasives and then replanting with natives. Things in the near future: New work truck (20% of total mileage can be personal use), a new laptop, lots of frequent flier miles, full benefits, 401 k (company matches 60+%), $37,000+ salary, and I can work from home when not on the road. So pretty much this is when I let out a loud "FUCK YEA!" The only real bummer is that I am gone a lot. most of the travel is during the summer months but averaged out over the year he said he is away from home about 3 days a week. I havent told anyone here about it yet (I am sure FS is going to be pist) but I guess I can tell the roommates here now about it. I am so excited!

For the 4thmy roommates and I had some folks over and got really shitty wasted. They are all quite beligerent drunks. We then went onto the roof to watch the annual "Burning of the Butte". This is a tradition where the fireworks display is of of pilot butte and inevitably it catches fire somewhere nearby. Apparently this year I was witness to one of the larger fires in recent history. within 2 minutes of the show starting, 3 fires were burning. one at the base torched off some junipers really fast and creeped into someones backyard before it was under control. Then a small one torched off and spread throughout the show to the majority of the hillside we could see. it would die down and then flare up really spectacularly and seemed to flare almost intentionally with the grand finale. High quality entertainment. I love the 4th not only for fireworks but also for the photos. I got some really wonderful long exposures but cant post them on this computer.

1 comment:

melanie said...

Congratulations Ian!